Wednesday, June 17, 2015

The Boat is Sinking 3: the art of collecting


Bags or baskets?  My pet peeve are baskets.  Can I just stick to one?  This is terrible.  I don't have much but I think that I have more than what I need!  I wonder how my mil managed all her bags without ado!  I don't know how to do that.  I always feel guilty of having more.  But sometimes they are too pretty to ignore and refuse. 

My mom in law (God rest her soul) had each bag with a tube of lipstick, a fan, a key chain with tiny scissors, nail cutter, silver ear cleaner and cute trinkets.  There's a rosary, hankies, cotton buds, band aid, compact powder, mirror, matches, toothpicks and even a scarf!  She is unbelievable!!  Color coded bags and accessories were not in my imagination before.  Yet, these are all essentials.  Maybe being a guerilla, a girl scout, a neat-freak and an elegant woman made her come up with a disaster kit in Prada, Loubotin, Chanel, etc.  She had a fancy bag made by prisoners and it was very elegant with green things inside.  When her daughters started to manage the distribution of her personal stuff, I was given a buff leather bag from France with all the girly stuff in it. 

I have always wanted a not too complicated closet.  But a girl is a girl!  And I thought that when my things won't fit my aparador anymore, then I have too much and God knows that it has always been a problem thinking where to put stuff and  when to use them.

The difference between Mommy Eli and me is that she is a collector by nature.  I use my things.  She preserves.  She admires them all.  I get tired of my possesions.  She nurtures each of them.  Maybe Ana takes after her Lola.  She has all her trinkets neatly lined up while mine would end up in knots and tangles.


Hay Naku!

No comments:

Post a Comment