Wednesday, June 17, 2015

the boat is sinking part 2: ruminations



In my mind, I have a few things in my closet and have emptied quite considerably.  Virtually setting aside clothes that no longer fit me: by size and by age.  Realistically speaking, last Christmas, I gifted my staff clothes I labelled "sweet partings from my closet: chosen and loved".  They, I mean my staff came in all sizes and all the clothes I gave away fitted me but also fitted them!  They wore these clothes from my collection on special occasions and proudly, one day, all them came to work wearing the clothes I gave them.  (I would be shy to give them something I have worn more than 3 times as I would not want to be discovered through my scent.... or odour for that matter!) 

Seated on my wicker chair for sharing again with my staff are clothes by Marni, DKNY, Zara, French Collection.  They were bought for 250-350 pesos from my "suki" at the Sunday Market.  These are surplus clothes from different sources but what interested me most was when I found out that there are actually people who buy clothes they will never wear!!!  Thanks to them! We scavengers get the pleasure of wearing  excellently constructed and designed clothes.

Marni clothes, I learned from my diggings, are always  very simply presented in neutrals but the engineering of their folds and cuts are geniusly constructed.  My daughter-in-law, Marie loves this brand.  I have gotten several for her and they look elegant when worn on elegant occasions and dressed down and nonchalant when donned on hippy and casual affairs.  Such practical find! 

Tsumori Chisanto is I think a contemporary designer for modernly surreal people.  Mermaids, starfishes, cats in watercolor effect with stitchings and very exciting and playful details.  I collected them for a while.  I have hardly anything left in my closet.  I bought and sold for the same price.

Why not?  I enjoyed pulling them out of the racks and it gives me so much satisfaction seeing other people on budget wear something as gorgeous as these labels!  Some teachers are afraid to try but the league of young and daring ones are not.  Daring but not revealing.  Daring because it is not mainstreamed.

So I think I have had enough of this phase.  I am no longer used to buying clothes beyond 300 pesos but I have now gone back to having some clothes custom-made by an dear friend, a sister I may consider, a banker who is extra perceptive and a dress shop owner too!!! Nakakainggit!!  I wanted to own a dress boutique before if not a sari-sari store or a candy store. 

So she made me several clothes, two I wore in  my school's graduations, the other in my mom-in-laws funeral.  Far from my hippie and flower-child image, these dresses make me look "put-together" in classic fabric. 

I will be keeping them till I slim down or fat up.  No way my Php250.00 Alexander Mqueen will go too.  It does not fit me nicely but i am keeping it for the marvelous bird! 

Aren't clothes issues just as disconcerting as national issues.  lol!


No comments:

Post a Comment