Sunday, July 5, 2015

93: Como Esta?

The process of letting go of one's accumulated material things is not like a walk in the park. It is a process that is very similar to the art of haggling - internal haggling or bargaining with one's conscience of desire and attachments. 

"...Should I let go no you keep it who gets it they might not value i won't find anything like this again it they will just throw it but it is a memorable piece... Nnnnnnnnoo??? yyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyessss!..."  
Saying no is quicker and easier than yes. 

But this ring is staying! 

I have brought out everything in my closet for assessment. I did not have much. Good girl. 

I realize that I have a talent for preserving my valuables well. But just in case i get maimed by the water that I drink or the air I breathe, i parted with my treasures to the ones who are meant to have them. 

My 55 year old terno was given to my eldest granddaughter Sofia. It will be passed on to all the funny girls and they will have a picture of theselves wearing it. 
This froggle shirt was a favorite wear of Ana when she was 2. There's nothing special about it except that it was a beautiful part of my younger days as a first time parent. It goes to Ziva who wore it with an aptitude!

The little worn out baby clothes that all three of mine wore one after another are in a box including a knitted string bikini top of Ana. I won't impose on my daughters in law to keep them for their babies. The contents of this box goes with me. Except for the baby clothes I made. They have been given to Ana for her boys to wear when they were infants. I did impose on my daughter, and well yes... sometimes to Anne and Marie, lol!

I made my office staff very happy with some loot too. An exquisite silk nightgown I never wore but kept because it was a gift, went to our new bride Mrs. B. It is indeed lovelier the second time around for her! And as i saw her face blush, I  knew why I had that nightgown when I am a beaten up shirt/ pyjama kind of girl! I was meant to give it to the person who was meant to have it! 

The other thing to consider when giving your things away is to be considerate.  Don't dump friends, relatives, employees with your "treasures" that are actually meaningless "junk" to them. They should want it. And if I know that the person I am giving my stuff to is already a hoarder, she ain't qualified. 

I am doing my children a favor by deciding now where my small stuff should go. 

Travel light _/ check!  
I hope to stay on track. 


Musing on how I would live the last 20 years of my life... 











No comments:

Post a Comment