Wednesday, November 24, 2010

christmas as unique as thumbprints

The idea of paper snowflakes is from free people and for my application of this inspiration, I used Mont Marte sketchpad for thickness.  With the help of Marie, we started cutting spontaneously with sharp scissors.  And like a gift, we opened the folded square excitedly and surprised with the uniqueness of each pattern and design.

I remember a book I scanned more than a year ago about how the unique structures of water would respond to the  positive and negative contexts of words. I wonder and I am not sure though, if our mood and feelings were affecting the outcomes of our paper cut-outs.

Marie is my daughter-in-law and has a baby, Sofia Soleil,  whose birthday we celebrated last November 18.  We sort of decorated the house before the party and went with the idea of handmade decorations straight from the heart!  She glued the snowflakes together  creating an irregularly shaped screen on her glass door. 

 The second layer on the other glass panel created a dimensional effect.  This is where I glued the snowflakes individually.
the sizes could make it more interesting like the effect these small ones make.
some snowflakes on the Christmas tree to integrate the look of the surrounding areas

 I got these birds from a Frankie magazine poster left-over of Marie's previous project.  The cut-outs are glued on and backed from a recycled cereal carton box.

 Using them as templates, I made some more out of white sketch pad paper and made cut-out wings from construction paper scraps.

You can see more of the wings using a color that has a greater contrast.


Two paper fans were glued together to create a complete circle.  I cut small slits on the folded edges to allow the tree lights to shine through it.

My husband was wondering why I did not put a star instead- he meant a five or six pointed one- but we can always break away from ideas that we have been accustomed to.  After all stars are really balls of fire and the points are created by  atmospheric interventions seen from where we are.

I think the two pages I tore from OK magazine that we now see as the star on top of this Christmas tree deserve the justification of buying one issue that features Jennifer Aniston - fabulous at 40! (LOL)















This is a tree most suitable for a new family spending their first Christmas with a one year old baby.  Now you know why the tree is inside the playpen!!! 





2 comments:

  1. the tree is beautiful! ours right now is very bare but the cut out idea is goo! i will do that...wishing i could make these on my work table though :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. you can because you can leave it anytime you need to walk out of your table and it won't get spoiled. you can even do it while chatting with a friend. make birds. they look festive on a christmas tree.

    ReplyDelete