Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Pay it Forward

Gratitude is a reflection of a benevolent soul.  It is different from "utang na loob" where in extreme practice, is like selling your soul for the price of a favor given, asked or not.

Gratitude is returning kindness and paving the route for kindness to benefit others.  It has a big memory disk.  It does not easily forget.  And in answer to my daughter's question although I am not asked, yes, it does have a holy thread that pulls circumstances and people together binding them to an act of love.

Gratitude will not make us forget that yes, someone washed our muddy feet before.  Someone took care of our jeepney fare when we needed it.  A friend stayed while the others left when we reeked of horse manure and rotten cabbage.  Someone who loves us definitely gave us something we needed or didn't need.

And we remain grateful to those who may no longer hold the power to lift us because we have grown heavier and fuller.  Grateful to those who now could make us angry or hurt because we always remember the good in spite of the bad.

Today I pray for a heart that is grateful and gracious.  I pray to be always grateful to my sister who in spite of our different lifestyles have nurtured me and influenced me more than our own parents.

To Ate, you'd be proud I work hard and I love beauty the way you do!  You should be proud of me. Belated happy birthday.


No comments:

Post a Comment