Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Gewgaws and tchotchkes?

The sacred in christmas is remembering all good things...
 and being remembered too.  this is a gift delivered from Guam from a friend called Alice.
 a mitten from a tent in Bethlehem was a gift from Glenda, a teacher of 13 years in The Little Farmhouse.  She is joining her husband in their church's mission this coming schoolyear.  I have this trimming to always remember her by.
 a twig I incorporated in my tree for a bit of emphasis.  After all, this tree could have been more natural than inorganically fake.
 there is sadness whenever I hang this.  this beautiful reindeer was a gift from one of my special students and a very special boy.  I pray that he is happy and well.  how I wish that I was able to keep him, but then there are things beyond me.
 A beautiful wooden angel.  I found this under a heap of trinkets being sold for a few pesos, dusty and drab.  Look at how she glows in my tree!

 This must have cost Ana some pounds!  A remembrance of her honeymoon in Europe.

 My first crystal decor!  I bought this glass reindeer from Fisherman's Wharf in SanFo.  Happy and sad memories...
 A clown to make me remember the hard times of putting up a school. lucky to have found this!  it is a treasure and what a bargain!!!

 Roxy reminds me of Jasmin very much.  Two christmases ago, she sensed it when I was starting to feel very weird and very sick and could hardly make the tree.
 Love these crystal balls from London.  The newest addition to my family tree!
Old and worn-out when I found this old guy.  This was a post, post Christmas sale from Papemelroti.

Let me tell you this little story about a young wife looking for a christmas tree decorator.  She wanted to have a tree "in season" or in vogue.  She asked about the color of the year and while I was admiring the store's display, she asked me if I have a tree and a decorator.

I told her that my Christmas tree is as authentic as my life, and for as long as family and friends gather around it, then it transcends everything material. 


No comments:

Post a Comment