Saturday, August 21, 2010

Teacher Emma

I missed time for myself.  I was caught in the frenzy of work and vocation trying to squeeze everything within a lifetime. My body screamed out loud at me.  It slapped, strangled and kicked me till I was blue. 


So after more that a year of getting sick, I made a pledge to pamper myself.  With the help of my children, Ana and Juaqui, and all the other people taking care of my school and loving it as much as I do, I should be on a perpetual holiday.   You see, it is not and has not been easy for me to do this.  I have always felt guilty about having a good time.  Guity pleasures- I've had plenty of that!  I still do.  No wonder, when school started, I stopped painting.  


I just realized that this morning.  I have wondered why I could not pick up a brush and paint away.  I have done other things, like take more naps during the day,  watch a movie alone, write, or cook.  Why can I not paint? I can finish a quick watercolor in 10 minutes, sometimes even in 5!  I painted in frenzy last summer, and i promised that I would paint again once we have launched the new schoolyear, but nothing has happened since then.


Painting was one activity that I would always give up, to give time and full attention to my school.  The Little Farm House is 18 years old.  She is no longer a baby but... like a mother, like a mother, I find myself unable to let go.  

I am letting go.  I am still watching and taking care of it through the people I trust.  My school, my baby, needs to go to school too.  It will benefit from other people, and from other experiences.  And yes,  it  is no longer a baby.  It is capable of being on its own.  Otherwise, the time and care I have given to it (her) for almost 2 decades would have been for naught.

I continue to be its muse and parent.  I am still its vision.  I still love to see the children.  And yes, I will paint too.  Paint without guilt. 

This is how I feel for now.
preschool kids and their birthday cupcakes
 
grade 2 children wearing their hats celebrating the school's 18th year
 

2 comments:

  1. I understand how you feel. And I am happy that you have found the right people who will carry out your vision for the school while allowing you more time for yourself. Continue to keep us posted as you go on this new path, with your photos, stories, and paintings!

    ReplyDelete
  2. it is an unending prayer for the good ones to come our way at The Little Farmhouse. I am lucky that I have full support from my family and from friends like you.

    ReplyDelete