Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Growing old in Frogglerocks










Never too late to start a hobby or a quest.  In a big sense, whether 16 or 60, our interest started somewhere in childhood.  It is always something that we have begun unknowingly or knowingly in our subconscious or consciousness.

The pursuit may come later but it does come if we listen to our heart's desires or longing.  I was raised in a garden and everything that fleeted or crawled or swooped was part of my growth and part of many daydreams and nightmares.

I bought with my retirement money a digiscope to watch the birds and butterflies and most things my poor eyesight does not allow me.  I take pictures of leaves and tendrils from trees with bees and even webs from atop trees.  I catch memories of creatures in flight or rest and sometimes at play or  work.  I am stacking pictures and images that I would want to paint in watercolor and so that when I lose my wits someday, my grandchildren will see something that was sane, before I talk nonsense in my hallucinations.

Watching birds is a pursuit I am embarking on now.  I know... too many things I want to do including a hundred watercolor paintings before my next birthday.  Not too good in this department but the inspiration I see everyday could snowball a hundred paintings!

I am proud that I did not buy a new car. My humble sum would only have allowed for a measly downpayment anyway.  I am glad that I allowed kindred friends or "teachers" to show me the wonderful moments of staying frozen in one's stance to enter the space of quiet flapping of wings and melodious perch on the magical boughs laden with fruits.

Surely, this requires time, time I may not always have.  But isn't deprivation the greatest source of creativity and resourcefulness?  I will find time.  

For now, this is my great source of joy and good health...


white-collared kingfisher on a rusty fence

indigo-banded kingfisher
a watercolor study

macopas for birds and humans

frogmouth

white-bellied munia at rest after a frenzy building its nest


tattered web

a dragonfly after a rain



2 comments:

  1. you have such a lovely garden! such a great backyard for birding and digiscoping!

    ReplyDelete
  2. indeed Trinket! And when I am most lucky, I even find dem birds in my bathroom, kitchen and one time on my head! come and visit soon!

    ReplyDelete